So you‘ve got a gorgeous new moissanite ring, maybe even an engagement ring, and you want to keep it sparkling forever. Smart thinking reaching out!
As your resident moissanite expert, let me walk you through exactly how to clean a moissanite ring and keep it looking stunning. I‘ll also share my top tips for daily wear and professional cleanings.
First let‘s chat about what moissanite is if you‘re new to this gorgeous gemstone.
- Let Me Introduce You to Moissanite
- Reviving a Cloudy or Dull Moissanite Ring
- How to Clean a Moissanite Ring at Home
- Keeping Your Moissanite Sparkling
- Should You Get a Professional Cleaning?
- Caring for Moissanite Jewelry of All Types
- Let‘s Recap My Top Moissanite Cleaning Tips
Let Me Introduce You to Moissanite
While they look similar, moissanite is actually very different from diamond. Here‘s a quick primer:
- Discovered in 1893 by a French scientist named Henri Moissan (hence the name). He found tiny particles of the mineral in a meteor crater and thought they were diamond.
- In nature moissanite is incredibly rare. So almost all moissanite jewelry uses lab-created gems.
- The lab-created version perfectly replicates moissanite‘s crystal structure and brilliance.
- Moissanite scores 9.5 on the Mohs scale compared to diamond‘s 10. But it‘s still very durable!
- Here‘s the best part – high quality moissanite costs about 10% of what you‘d pay for a similar diamond piece. Major savings!
Over the last decade, moissanite has soared in popularity as an eco-friendly and affordable alternative to diamond engagement rings. And with proper care, that stunning moissanite ring of yours can stay fabulous forever!
Reviving a Cloudy or Dull Moissanite Ring
So you may have noticed your moissanite doesn‘t have quite the same sparkle it used to. No worries! With the right cleaning methods you can get that brilliance back in no time.
Cloudiness or a dull, hazy look is typically caused by oil, dirt, soap, lotions and other gunk building up on the surface of the stone over time.
While moissanite is incredibly durable, it can lose its luster without occasional deep cleanings. Let‘s talk about how to do that properly.
How to Clean a Moissanite Ring at Home
Cleaning your moissanite ring at home is a simple process with just a few supplies:
- Mild dish soap (like Dawn)
- An old but clean soft-bristle toothbrush
- Lint-free cloth or microfiber towel
- Small bowl or container for soaking
Avoid using toothpaste, scrubbing pads, or chemical cleaners as these can damage the stone.
Okay, ready to get that sparkle back? Here are the simple steps:
Step 1: Make a Warm Soapy Solution
Fill your bowl or container with warm water and add a small squirt of mild dish soap. Swirl it around to mix up the soapy solution.
Step 2: Soak Your Ring
Pop your moissanite ring into the soapy water. Let it soak for 10-15 minutes so the solution can penetrate and loosen up gunk.
Step 3: Gently Scrub with a Soft Brush
Take your soft toothbrush and gently scrub the ring, especially along the band and prongs. This lifts away built-up oils and residue.
Step 4: Rinse Your Ring
Rinse your moissanite ring under warm running water. It‘s important to rinse away all soap remnants that could leave residue.
Step 5: Pat Dry
Use your lint-free cloth to pat your ring completely dry. Make sure to get into crevices and settings.
And voila! With just this simple cleaning routine, you can restore the original radiance of your moissanite ring!
Keeping Your Moissanite Sparkling
Day-to-day care is also important for keeping moissanite shining like new between cleanings. Here are my top tips:
- Remove your ring before applying lotion, perfume, makeup, self-tanner, etc. These can leave pesky films.
- Take your ring off when washing dishes, gardening or anything where it might get dirty or banged around.
- At the gym or playing sports? Protect your ring by leaving it safely at home.
- Use a ring dish or jewelry box for safe overnight storage.
- Resist the urge to constantly fidget with your ring. The oils from your hands can build up.
Following this moissanite care advice will help keep your ring glistening!
Should You Get a Professional Cleaning?
While cleaning moissanite rings at home is easy, I always recommend having them professionally cleaned once or twice a year.
Jewelers use powerful ultrasonic and steam machines to deep clean rings and remove stubborn buildup. After a professional clean, your ring will look brand new!
Signs it‘s time for a professional refresh include:
- Significant cloudiness
- Darkened areas on the stone
- Loss of shine and brilliance
- Debris stuck in small crevices
Many jewelry stores offer professional ultrasonic cleanings for around $10-30. Well worth it to revive your ring‘s sparkle.
Caring for Moissanite Jewelry of All Types
The same cleaning principles apply whether your moissanite piece is a ring, tennis bracelet, necklace, earrings or something else.
For delicate items, just take extra care handling during cleaning. And be sure to store properly in a padded jewelry box or pouch.
No matter what type of moissanite jewelry you have, routine care will help retain its gorgeous brilliance!
Let‘s Recap My Top Moissanite Cleaning Tips
To keep your moissanite jewelry stunning for years, remember:
- Clean with mild dish soap, soft brush and lint-free cloth
- Soak in warm sudsy water before scrubbing
- Always rinse thoroughly after cleaning
- Follow up with a pat dry, no rubbing!
- Remove moissanite jewelry before lotions, chemicals, cleaning, etc
- Consider professional cleanings every 6-12 months
- Inspect regularly and clean when you notice dirt or cloudiness
Properly caring for your moissanite will ensure it dazzles forever. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions! I‘m always happy to help.