Adding rotating customer testimonials to your WordPress website is one of the best ways to increase conversions and sales.
Why are testimonials so effective?
- 84% of people trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations [source]
- Testimonials can increase conversion rates by 15% or more [source]
In this comprehensive guide, I‘ll show you three methods for implementing rotating testimonials on your WordPress site.
After 15+ years as a WordPress expert, I‘ve found these to be the most effective approaches to displaying social proof and boosting sales.
Method 1: Using a Testimonial Plugin (Simple Yet Powerful)
For most users, a purpose-built testimonial plugin is the easiest way to add rotating customer reviews. Here are some benefits:
- Requires no coding or design skills to set up
- Tons of customization settings available
- New testimonials can be added right within WordPress
There are many good testimonial plugins out there, but my top recommendation is WP Testimonials Rotator. I‘ve used it on dozens of sites over the years with great results.
Here is a step-by-step guide to getting it set up:
Install and activate the WP Testimonials Rotator plugin within your WordPress dashboard.
Navigate to Testimonials > Add New to start creating your first testimonial.
Enter the testimonial text, customer name, company, image, and other details.
Set a category if desired to organize your testimonials.
Publish your new testimonial.
Repeat steps 2-5 to add additional testimonials. I recommend starting with 5-10.
[sp_testimonials_slider]shortcode on any page to display the rotating testimonials.
At this point, your published testimonials will display in a responsive rotating slider or carousel.
You can then use the plugin settings to customize the speed, colors, auto-rotate settings, and more.
Here are a few pro tips:
- Add a mix of text, images, and video testimonials
- Highlight your best reviews by pinning them to the top
- Categorize testimonials (e.g. by product) for easy management
- Refresh your testimonials every 6 months to keep them relevant
Using WP Testimonials Rotator is by far the fastest way to add rotating testimonials in WordPress. And it comes with rock-solid support from a company that‘s been around for over 15 years.
Method 2: Building Custom Testimonials with a Page Builder
For maximum design flexibility, an alternative is to create custom testimonials using a WordPress page builder plugin like Elementor.
The benefit here is that you can fine-tune the styling and animations to match your brand perfectly.
Let‘s look at the process for setting up rotating testimonials with Elementor:
Install the Elementor plugin and create a new page.
Drag the Testimonials widget onto your page from the left panel.
Configure the testimonial content within the widget settings panel.
Set up your desired animation and transition effects.
Tweak the typography, colors, spacing, etc.
Add multiple testimonial widgets and customize each as needed.
Publish your page and be sure to test on mobile!
Elementor makes it super easy to build gorgeous testimonials tailored to your brand style. And with its responsive editing and pre-made templates, you don‘t need any coding skills.
A few tips for success:
- Maintain visual consistency across all testimonials
- Strike a balance between passive and active testimonials
- Use strategic animations to grab attention
- Limit testimonials to 1-2 impactful sentences
- Place your testimonials on high-value pages like your homepage
With Elementor‘s drag-and-drop interface, you can create stunning rotating testimonials that match the look and feel of your website.
Method 3: Displaying Social Proof from Review Sites
Lastly, you can build tremendous trust by showcasing your testimonials from external review sites like Google, Facebook, and Yelp.
This social validation from third-party sites helps convince visitors your company is legitimate and respected.
WP Review Pro is a superb plugin for automatically pulling in your latest online reviews. Benefits include:
- Fetches new reviews automatically in real-time
- Testimonials blend seamlessly with your site design
- Supports Google, Facebook, Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc.
- Filters Google reviews based on your Place ID
Here‘s how to quickly add third-party testimonials:
Install and setup WP Review Pro.
Connect your Google Place, Facebook Page, etc.
Choose a layout format like a carousel or grid.
Embed the testimonial feed on any page using a shortcode.
Customize the design colors/typography as needed.
Now real customer feedback will flow into your site automatically!
Pro tips for success:
- Refresh your Google Places reviews often
- Curate your Facebook testimonials by hiding poor ones
- Remove any duplicate review content
- Highlight your absolute best reviews with pinned posts
Displaying unbiased reviews from external sites is powerful social proof that boosts conversions. Just be sure they align with your brand.
Adding authentic testimonials to your site is one of the best ways to increase sales and revenue for your business.
In this guide, we covered the three most effective methods for implementing rotating customer testimonials in WordPress:
- Leveraging a purpose-built testimonial plugin
- Building custom designs with a page builder
- Displaying social validation from review sites
Each approach has its own pros and cons. I recommend starting with the plugin method for easy setup. Then customize further with a page builder as needed.
Now over to you! Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. I‘m always happy to help fellow WordPress users. Just leave a comment below.