Want your website visitors to see your awesome Instagram photos and videos?
As a fellow webmaster, I know displaying Instagram feeds on your site has tons of benefits. Let me walk you through exactly how to embed feeds in WordPress.
- Why You Should Definitely Embed Instagram Feeds
- Step 1: Install the Smash Balloon Social Plugin
- Step 2: Connect Your Instagram Account
- Step 3: Create and Customize Your Instagram Feed
- Step 4: Embed Your Instagram Feed in WordPress
- FAQs About Displaying Instagram Feeds
Why You Should Definitely Embed Instagram Feeds
Before we dive in, let me share some compelling stats that show why Instagram feeds are so valuable:
61% of internet users say they discover new products on Instagram. Feeds expose visitors to your products.
Posts with images see 94% more views than text-only posts. Visual feeds attract more eyeballs.
Over 500 million accounts use Instagram Stories daily. Feeds showcase different content formats.
The average user spends 53 minutes per day on Instagram. Feeds tap into highly engaged visitors.
As you can see, Instagram is massively popular and influential. Feeds allow you to tap into its marketing power.
Specifically, embedding Instagram feeds on your site:
- Drives traffic to your Instagram profile
- Increases engagement and social shares
- Shows you have an active, engaged community
- Keeps your content fresh and updating
- Promotes your products and brand effectively
Next, let me explain how to easily add Instagram feeds to WordPress using a free plugin I recommend.
Step 1: Install the Smash Balloon Social Plugin
To embed an Instagram feed on WordPress, you need a plugin. I suggest using Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed.
Why Smash Balloon is the Best Choice
Over 1 million WordPress sites use Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed. As a webmaster with 15 years of experience, I can tell you it‘s the best option because:
- Created specifically for Instagram feeds
- Available for free from the plugin repository
- Super simple to set up and customize
- Actively developed and supported
- Flexible customization options
- Automatically updates new Instagram posts
How to Install and Activate the Plugin
Installing Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed takes just a couple of minutes:
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Plugins > Add New.
- Search for "Smash Balloon Social Photo Feed".
- Install and activate the plugin.
That‘s it! The plugin is now ready to use. Next, we‘ll connect your Instagram account.
Step 2: Connect Your Instagram Account
To display your Instagram photos in WordPress, you need to connect your account to the Smash Balloon plugin:
- Go to Instagram Feed > Settings and click Add New.
- Select User Timeline and click Next.
- Choose either a Personal or Business account.
- Click Login with Facebook and select your Instagram account.
- Pick the connected Facebook page.
- Review the permissions and click Done.
Your Instagram account is now connected to WordPress!
Next, I‘ll explain how to create and customize your feed.
Step 3: Create and Customize Your Instagram Feed
With your account connected, it‘s time to create your Instagram feed and modify the design:
Create Your Feed
- Go to Instagram Feed > All Feeds.
- Check your connected account and click Next.
- Name your feed and click Create Feed.
This opens the customization screen where you can tweak the layout and design.
Customize the Layout
- Go to Layout on the left.
- Pick your desired image layout and spacing.
- Set different posts for desktop and mobile. I recommend 8 posts for desktop and 6 for mobile.
- Click Save Changes when you‘re happy.
Modify the Design
- Go to Style to change colors, text size, image radius, etc.
- Under Header, show your Instagram avatar and bio.
- Adjust image sizes under Posts > Images. Smash Balloon picks the optimal size.
- Customize the "Load More" and "Follow" buttons.
- Click Save Changes to keep your edits.
And that‘s it! Your feed is now ready to embed anywhere on your site.
Step 4: Embed Your Instagram Feed in WordPress
The final step is adding your customized Instagram feed to WordPress. You have 3 options:
1. Embed in a Page or Post
Add the "Instagram Feed" block where you want the feed displayed.
Under "Shortcode Settings", enter your feed‘s shortcode from Instagram Feed > All Feeds:
Click "Apply Changes" and publish the page or post.
2. Add an Instagram Widget
Go to Appearance > Widgets and drag the "Instagram Feed" widget into a widget area.
Enter your shortcode in the widget settings:
Click "Update" to save the widget.
3. Use a Shortcode
Copy your feed‘s shortcode and paste it into a Shortcode block on any page or post.
Publish or update to display the Instagram feed.
And that‘s all you need to embed an Instagram feed in WordPress!
FAQs About Displaying Instagram Feeds
Here are answers to some common questions about adding Instagram feeds to WordPress:
How do I switch to an Instagram business profile?
In the Instagram app, go to your profile » Settings » Switch to Professional Account. Provide your business details when prompted.
Why connect Instagram to Facebook?
Facebook owns Instagram, so connecting to a Facebook page allows Smash Balloon to automatically pull your Instagram profile information.
Can I show multiple Instagram feeds?
Absolutely! Connect extra Instagram accounts in the plugin settings and create additional feeds for each one.
What‘s the user limit for Instagram feeds?
With a free Facebook developer account, you can display photos from up to 10 connected Instagram profiles.
How often do Instagram feeds update?
Your feeds will automatically refresh when you add new Instagram posts. You can choose update frequencies between 10 minutes and 1 hour.
I hope this step-by-step guide helped explain how to seamlessly integrate Instagram feeds into your WordPress site! Let me know if you have any other questions.